There are many key trends that define the Spring/Summer 2016 runways. The off-shoulder silhouette is among the hottest of them. This trend is perfect for the warmer summer months as you get to stay comfy and cool while channeling the chicest look. Yet there are things that could go totally wrong with your off-shoulder outfit. Here are some tips on how to rock the look:
- Finding the right fit – You don’t want to have the top slipping off your shoulder when wearing an off-shoulder top or dress. You could end up with a huge wardrobe mishap. Make sure the top part fits perfectly around your shoulder and bust areas.
- Complementary hair and makeup – Wearing an off-shoulder trend gives you the freedom to style your hair as you wish. You can leave your shoulders exposed by wearing your hair in a messy bun or ponytail. Or you can also wear it down in messy waves for a laid-back look. As for jewelry, keep it minimal with thin strands or necklaces or minimal dangle earrings.
- Classy cocktail – One of the most stylish ways to wear the off-shoulder trend is in the form of your cocktail dress. Whether you go for a layered fifties dress or a body con dress, the trend will work perfectly. The idea is to choose something that you’re comfortable in and flatters your body. You can pick any color or pattern you wish, but try to stick to solids so you can style the dress in different ways.
Source: Tuula Vintage
While classic pumps look great with evening wear, the off-shoulder cocktail dress may look better with slinky stilettos. For an edgier look, you could wear it with structured strappy heels embellished with trendy hardware.
- Boho chic – When you say “off-shoulder” you typically think of a peaceful bohemian vibe. The trend is truly in tune with the hippie fashion, so channel that vibe with a boho-style off-shoulder dress in chiffon. Maybe you could go for a fun mix of polka dots and florals when it comes to the patterns. Or you can pick one in a peaceful neutral color. You can even go all out with a frilled suede vest and oversized sunglasses to create a seventies flower child Halloween costume.
Source: Dadou ChicPair the look with some of the hottest footwear trends for the season. Maybe it could be a pair of high-rise gladiator sandals or suede stilettos for a dressier look. You can also wear it with open-toe booties to create something edgy.
- Cropped top – As you already know, cropped top are among the top fashion trends for women. You can mash it up with the off-shoulder trend by getting a cropped off-shoulder top. Maybe it’s a frilly and fun number or a tight-fitting one that looks great with anything. You can style this top with printed flared pants to add some flair to your look. Add a pair of heeled mule shoes or strappy stilettos and you’re good to go.
Source: Glam RadarOtherwise, you could also style your off-shoulder cropped top with a midi skirt. Think fifties housewife meets eighties pop star. Dress up the look with your favorite pair of pumps and a statement necklace. Complete the look by tying your hair back in a neat pony tail and throwing on your oversized sunglasses. You now have an instant celebrity look.
- Beach cover-up – With summer soon approaching, you may be looking forward to lazing about at the beach-side soaking up the sun. You can channel the off-shoulder trend even at the beach by wearing an off-shoulder sundress as a cover-up. Think of a lightweight creamy number with lace or macramé embellishments. Instead of wearing flip flops, go for a colorful pair of tie-up sandals to dress up the look a bit. Throw on oversized sunglasses and a straw hat for a chic yet beach-bound look.
Source: Closetful of Clothes
- Keep it casual – Loose-fit off-shoulder tops are perfect for a casual look. Style a floral piece with ripped or distressed denims and pointy-toe skimmers. Maybe you can also wear it with fitted overalls and white kicks. You can dress up both looks with stilettos or mule shoes as you wish. Complete the outfit with a quirky graphic handbag that speaks fun and style. Off-shoulder tops also look great with denim shorts on the warmest of days.
- Dress it up – The off-shoulder top you wear for casual days will work perfect for a formal occasion as well. All you need to do is dress it up accordingly. Maybe with a pair of culottes and strappy sandals. Or you could go for a one-sided off-shoulder dress and classy high waist palazzos. If it’s a casual dress, add some accessories like belts and necklaces paired with the right set of shoes for a more formal look.
Source: Luv to Look
You now have a store of tips and ideas to help you pull off the off-shoulder trend perfectly. Before you pick one up, make sure you go for something that looks great and flatters your body. Enjoy expressing yourself with the chic off-shoulder trend.
Brandon Leibowitz is a seasoned writer for global thrift retailers, Savers and Value Village. He is a frequent contributor to blogs such as Social Media Examiner, Businesss 2 Community and several others. Brandon is recognized as a strong social media influencer due to his knowledge of and dedication to the industry.